Börge Seeger, MLE (Leuven), JSM (Stanford)
IT and technology law
Börge Seeger is a partner at NEUWERK. His practice covers intellectual property and information technology law, data protection and privacy matters, cybersecurity, e-commerce, outsourcing, distribution, as well as complex commercial law matters. He regularly advises in the context of M&A and carve-out transactions across different industry sectors, with a special focus on technology and healthcare transactions.
Additionally, Börge has extensive experience in assisting clients from the life sciences / healthcare sector. He regularly advises biotechnology companies, pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers on M&A deals, product divestitures, licensing arrangements, R&D collaborations, clinical trial agreements, distribution matters, as well as on numerous other issues related to the development, manufacture and marketing of their products. At NEUWERK, he heads the life sciences focus group.
Börge is a German lawyer and Certified Licensing Professional (CLP). He is a member of the German-American Lawyers Association (DAJV), the German Society of Legal Informatics (DGRI), the Licensing Executive Society (LES) and the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR). He is a Fellow at the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School and a regular speaker on data protection and biotechnology issues at workshops and professional conferences.
- A multinational pharma company, on all manufacturing, distribution, quality, and pharmacovigilance aspects in connection with the global carve-out and sale of a business division as part of a global ‘portfolio swap’
- A leading German biopharmaceutical company, on a complex license and equity arrangement with an American pharma company and a collaboration and license agreement with a French pharma company (two of the largest arrangements in the German biotech industry to date)
- A Berlin-based biotechnology company, on multiple license collaborations with a Swiss pharma company in the field of human coagulation factors
- A leading German online advertising company, on numerous IP/IT, TSA and carve-out issues in connection with the purchase of a leading European online client portal
Prior to founding Neuwerk, Börge Seeger was a member of the IP/IT and corporate practice groups at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP for more than eight years. At Freshfields, he advised national and international clients on intellectual property and technology matters and IP/IT-related transactions, and spent several months each working at Freshfields’ London, New York and Frankfurt offices.
Before joining Freshfields, Börge worked with the German Independent Centre for Privacy Protection, where he was involved in legislative consultations on Germany's anti-terrorism and security laws, was a stagiaire with the European Commission in Brussels, where he was involved in the re-drafting of EU agricultural regulations, and clerked for the US law firm Dilworth Paxson in Washington DC, where he helped establish the German American Solidarity Fund after the attacks of 11 September 2001.
Börge studied law and European Legal Practice in Hannover, Leuven (Belgium), Dusseldorf and Stanford (USA), and worked as a research assistant to Professor Wolfgang Kilian (University of Hannover) and Professor Ralph-Alexander Lorz (University of Dusseldorf). He holds a Juris Science Master degree (JSM) from Stanford Law School, a Master of European Law degree (MLE) from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, the Second State Exam in Law (equivalent of Bar Exam) from the Higher Regional Court of Hamburg, and the First State Exam in Law (equivalent of J.D.) from Heinrich-Heine-University Dusseldorf.
- How to divorce amicably - Zur Gestaltung der Beendigungsszenarien im Lizenzdeal, Going Public - Life Sciences, 18. Jahrgang, 2016
- Die Lizenz in der Insolvenz, Patentkommentar, transkript, 2016
- Open Source Software - Grenzen und Vermeidung des viralen Effekts, Vortrag, 2016
- Das Geheimnis in der Cloud - Überlegungen zu § 203 StGB, Vortrag, 2015
- Patent- und Technologielizenzklauseln im F&E-Vertrag, Vortrag, 2015
- Getting to Day 1 - Carve outs and product divestitures in the pharma sector, Vortrag, 2014
- IT-Outsourcing und Cloud Computing, Vortrag, Otto Schmidt Verlag, 2013
- Dawn-Raid-Basics - Grundwissen zu Durchsuchungen der Europäischen Kommission und des Bundeskartellamtes, Vortrag, 2013
- What's the way the cookie crumbles? - Some observations on the state of implementation of the e-privacy directive in the UK and Germany, Vortrag, 2012
- Der fliegende Gerichtsstand bei Internet-Sachverhalten, Leible/Sosnitza (Hrsg.), Onlinerecht 2.0: Alte Fragen – neue Antworten?, 2011
- BGH 'Reifen Progressiv' - Zum dinglichen Charakter der Lizenz, Vortrag, 2010
- Online Proxy Voting: A New Hope for Shareholder Democracy?, Stanford Law School, Thesis, Stanford Programme in international legal studies (SPILS), Stanford University, 2004